Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tourist Joe



Monday, August 16th. I decided to play tourist. I walked back down to the docks, up and down the steep hills of San Fran to join an organized city tour on a bus. What better way to see some of the sights and not have to ride my bike.
We took a ferry across the bay to Sausalito, had lunch there, and then took the bus to Golden Gate Bridge, Grace Cathedral, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown and toured many of the streets in the Victorian district while hearing about the history.

Last night I spent a very enjoyable evening in the hotel bar talking to three guys from England and a couple of young girls from Germany. I joined the conversation because the men, two brothers my age and one of their sons, had rented Harleys here and rode around California for a fortnight. Lots of laughs swapping stories. One brother reminded me of a cross between Keith Emerson and Malcolm McDowell!
So, today, after breakfast and packing up, and waiting for the weather to warm up, I intend to saddle up and ride out of town. I will head north for a bit to check out redwood trees. I have no real time restraint now, so I will be able to slow down a bit and go where the road leads.
Today, I have cash! and am prepared for toll bridges, as I plan to ride out over the Golden Gate Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment