Friday, August 13, 2010

Hey, I'm In Ontario!






Thursday, August 12th. Today was another day of amazing riding. Started early from Belgrade, and drove to Butte Montana and then headed south on highway 15 to highway 43. I took 43 just to get me to the Salmon River Scenic byway which I'd been told by another biker was an excellent ride. Turned out to be a spectacular road.The Salmon River scenic byway was a fabulous ride following the river through a number of canyons. After that I took the Ponderosa Pines scenic byway to Boise Idaho. The scenery on both routes is stunning and changes constantly.



The last part of that road was a mountain pass that climbed and climbed up through mountains covered with sweet smelling pines and had a lot of switchbacks without guard rails! Exciting ride but took a long time because you had to ride slowly to stay on the mountain.


When the route finally dumped me just outside Boise, I found myself behind a truck pulling a trailer. All of a sudden water was pouring out of it. It took me a minute to realize the trailer was a horse trailer and the horse emptied himself. Got a bit on me and the bike, but needless to say I dropped back quickly!


Decided to ride right through Boise, because I didn't want to stay in a big city and I don't want to have to deal with rush hour tomorrow. So, when I saw that Ontario was 36 miles west, I couldn't resist.


Thanks to all of you who set me a note. I really appreciate it. It's good to hear from people. I should have more time to respond when I get to San Fransisco on the weekend.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe it's Friday the 13th and where are you?? All the bikers around here were looking for you down in Port Dover. I think this one was the 50th anniversary. Sorry to hear about the horse episode. Sounds like you are having a great time. I'd tell you to wear flowers in your hair when you get to San Fran but there's one problem......

    Hope to hear from you when you can buddy. Your friend Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe,
    Have just returned from Spain to read your blog and view all the pics. It looks like you're having a gas! I know how you love all the switchbacks: it's a cyclists dream and/or nightmare!! Any cyclists on your routes? You look great...be safe...keep the commentary coming...

    ReplyDelete