Monday, August 30, 2010

Grand Canyon







Sunday August 29. Left Sedona early and rode north along a very pretty road, past more red rock vistas and then following Oak Creek Canyon, through forests as it rose up to the plateau. The temperature fell, the wind really picked up and I was dodging another 'monsoon'. This one was headed north so I pulled over and left it get ahead of me before I proceeded. I had to put on more clothes and really fight the wind.
Rode through Flagstaff and then north to Grand Canyon. I found a room in one of the lodges right in the park. Checked in by 11 and then spent the whole rest of the day exploring the rim. This is the south side and offers a lot more viewing spots than the north rim does. Rode the bike 26 miles to the east entrance to check out more viewpoints. Then came back for a quick grocery type dinner and then caught the shuttle the park provides to a westward facing spot to watch the sunset. The canyon is beyond belief in its scope. It's only about 20 miles across but over 300 miles from east to west and a mile deep! I was listening to a ranger as he pointed out green colouration a ways down that looked like grass, and he told us it was actually two hundred foot trees! It is a gorgeous place to visit. I've been to the north rim twice, and am glad that now I have made the south rim too.

No comments:

Post a Comment