Sunday, August 22, 2010

Big Sur







Friday August 20. From Yosemite I rode through more high elevation scenery and across the middle of state until I reached the coast south of San Francisco, at Carmel. Stopped there briefly but it's mainly an upscale shopping town. Rode along the Shoreline Highway 1, through more stands of giant trees. Followed the highway along the very rugged and hilly region known as Big Sur. Fantastic vistas and scary turns. Again it was getting late and the temperature was dropping. Looked for a place to stay but nothing available, according to the gas attendant. About another 30 miles down the road I stumbled across a motel right on the highway and right across from the ocean. Luckily they had an empty room, but again no computer.


This was the view outside my window. They had a restaurant on the same property and I went and had a great seafood pasta dinner there. Had a couple of beers and talked to the waiter for awhile. Later he gave me two cups of 'coffee' that were actually beers disguised in coffee paper cups. Good guy and a fun evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment