Monday, August 16, 2010

I Told You It Got Interesting!






Saturday, August 14th. Okay, I said it got interesting, here goes. I was riding through the Sacramento Valley on Interstate 5 and the temperature was 100. I needed gas, so I pulled into a station. Here in California and in no other state I've been to, they have a guard on the nozzle that will only pump gas into your tank when you press the nozzle into your tank. As a result you cannot pull the nozzle up and top up the tank. Therefore, you can never really fill your tank. Remember bikes have no gas gauge, just reserve. But, I know that I need to get gas after about 200km. So, I continue down the highway and after about 150 km pull off onto another highway. Shortly after that the bike sputters and tells me I need gas. So I go to reserve and begin to look for a station. No sign of one! I'm in hot, dry, deserted area where the exits are only marked as road #5 (or whatever) and no services. I passed three exits like this and have now gone another 30 kms! Luckily the next one had a station. I thought I was going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Then, yes it gets better. I was riding in a t-shirt because it was so warm, until I got within 50 miles of San Fran, and then it got cold and I needed to pull over on the next Interstate (80 which goes directly into the city). So, I pull over on the shoulder and put on a sweater and my mesh jacket and continue on. Another 30 miles and the temperature plummets. So, I have to pull over again and change into my heavy leather jacket and full gloves. I'm still cold. I finally arrive in San Fran in lots of traffic, only to discover that there is a toll bridge that only accepts cash. I had just spent the last of my cash on gas (I planned on getting more in the city). The toll bridge has 20 lanes!!!!!! and the cars are lined up 20 cars deep and I have no cash!! So, I had time to think what I was going to do. I couldn't back up or turn around. So, I got up there and told him I was a Canadian who didn't know about the toll but I had credit cards or debit. He didn't take them. So, he checked my license, and issues me a ticket saying that I would have to mail the fee ($5) to them and a fine! But at least he let me in.

I took this picture right after that, looking back. Unfortunately it doesn't really show the whole mess but it gives you some idea.
Anyway, after exiting the highway, I managed to find my hotel and check in by 8pm. And it was cold - 55 degrees! and foggy. Welcome to San Fran.
Just another exciting day.

2 comments:

  1. Joe,
    I am so impressed with you! WOW!!! You are having the time of your life!! I had no idea our country was so BEAUTIFUL! I have to get out west! I go up and down the east coast! Florida- the cottage! As far south and north as I go! I need to go west! The photo of you with your helmet looks just like Daniel! Love reading about your adventures! Be safe and have a blast! You have been planning this for a long time- enjoy each moment!
    Mary Kohl USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a great adventure Joe--thanks for the laugh

    its a beautiful sunny day here in TO by the way

    ReplyDelete