Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Backtracking and Waylaying







Tuesday August 31. Today was a mixed up day. As I said I had to backtrack into Arizona to pick up highway 12 north through the Navajo reservation (apparently the largest on in the world). Then while riding it, I missed a turn somewhere and wound up on a dirt road. So I doubled back and took the first paved road in the direction I wanted to go. But either the government doesn't put up signs on reservations or the locals take them done, because nothing was marked. Anyway, luckily found a gas station (they are the new oasis), and asked the attendant. He straightened me out on how to double back and get back on 12. I've been gone four weeks and that's the first time I've been lost. There was a turkey vulture flying over me, but I told him he couldn't have me yet!

Then when I was riding to Canyon De Chenilly National Monument, I rode right by a couple of overlooks because I was focused on getting to the main gate to pay. As it turns out, it is a free park! So I doubled back for the third time today. But it was worth it. I got waylaid there by the beauty of the place. The Canyon is a miniature Grand Canyon, but only small in comparison. The Navajo used to live in it and farm on the bottom. It is gorgeous. Met a group of bikers there, three on trikes and one on a regular bike. They were all seniors. Had a good talk with them swapping stories and they gave me all their Colorado maps and told me some things to do and see, including another mountain road with lots of switchbacks and few guardrails, called The Million Dollar Highway. Have to check that out.

I spent a good part of the day there and then decided that I would head west again and into Utah, before doing all the roads in Colorado. So I rode west along more beautiful semi deserted desert roads towards Zion National Park. Didn't get to it before dark, so I am currently staying at Page Arizona, beside Lake Powell, which is a huge dammed resevoir for Vegas (I think).

One of the gases attendants I met today, told me that it hasn't been as hot this year and they have had more rain than usual. As a result the desert is greener than usual. Makes for nice pictures.

This is a the part of the trip I was looking forward to before I left. I love this "cowboy" country. I will visit Zion Park, Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park, the town of Moab, and Monument Valley over the next couple of days before heading into Colorado.

4 comments:

  1. Your photography is improving as your trip progresses. Fantastic shots Buddy and great memories for you, Safe riding my friend! I'm stll jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ,
    have been on the pillion all the way with y'all.
    it is so sooo great to revisit all of these places but see them thru ur eyes. So many memories and i can appreciate ur flat ass and gas station woes. BTW, circumvent the Cal gas pump, have someone hold spring loaded deflector while u pump to the rim. Remember, ur best adventure is around the next corner....wick it on!!!
    front wheel into the wind, Ole Buddy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter says your photography is improving...what's with that? If you zoom in to the pics, you'll see how pristinely clear and stunning they are: really good subjects! You're so right about how green that dry area is and the fact that you've come across some smaller canyons and quieter roads must really please you: safer driving with perhaps no more border patrollers chasing down drivers...for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph, so far your trip is amazing. The pictures are out of this world. You should get some of these enlarged. They would look great in our staff room.

    Take care of yourself. You are missed. Hug, Hug, Smooch, Smooch. (I'm sure you are missing us lol)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Love Lena

    ReplyDelete