Sunday, August 22, 2010

Queen Mary







Sunday August 22. This is a beautiful old ship. My room was about three times larger than the one I had on the Caribbean cruise that Terri and I took.
It's all done in wood and they have kept most of the old fixtures. It was like being on a cruise but not going anywhere. In the morning, being Sunday, they had a big brunch in the main dining room. There was tons of food and lots and lots of choices. So, I went at 9:30 and stayed for three hours, pigging out on course after course. Oh, I forgot, it was a champagne and orange juice (in seperate glasses) brunch. Megan would have been right at home.
I talked to another young couple on their anniversary and then a couple about my age who were they meeting a friend that they hadn't seen for 26 years. The wife had just bought her husband a Ferreiri! It was an older, used model, but a red Ferreiri nonetheless. I had intended to ride to a beach in LA and just hang out, but I was enjoying the ship so much, I just stayed there. Read my book on the deck for a while and then took a tour of a Russian
Scorpion submarine that was docked alongside. Actually if you expand the picture of the bow (by clicking on it) of the QM and look just to the left (port side) you can see the top of the sub. This picture is of the torpedo bay. Very interesting. I didn't find it too claustrophobic until I thought about a crew of 78 men!! Yikes.
In the evening, just wandered the decks exploring. That's when the nice desk clerk let me use the computer in the office to upload my photos, but it's been until now, before I could update the text.


No comments:

Post a Comment