Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Big Trees And Chilly Ocean Breezes



Tuesday, August 17th.
I left San Fran about 11:30 this morning, after I got organized and the weather warmed up some. Rode out across the Golden Gate Bridge money at the ready... but guess what... you only pay tolls entering the city! Rode just north of the city to visit Muir Woods National Park. It's a small remenent redwood forest. The trees are beautiful, gigantic and majestic. But somehow, they seem smaller in girth then the redwoods around Eureka (if I remember correctly). So, I decided to ride north along the coastal highway in search of more.

Here are a couple of shots of the Pacific as seen from that road. Check out the winding road and switchbacks. Again today the scenery was spectacular.


It was great to ride out of the city and get back on the emptier, and more scenic roads. It was also great to be riding again, after a full two day layoff. The sun was out again today, but the temperature was cool all day and became cold enough to numb my fingers in my gloves by seven this evening. So, I'm staying at a motel in Fort Bragg, northern California. Tomorrow I will ride further north and visit another redwood forest before riding inland in order to head south and warm up!

1 comment:

  1. Those switchbacks look fun to ride especially along the coast...even better on a bicycle don't you think? Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete