Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Most Photogenic Lake!




Friday, August 13th. (Port Dover day!) After leaving Ontario, I rode south to find a National Park that I heard about from a biker I met at Custer. The place is called Crater Lake National Park, located in the south western part of Oregon. It has to be the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. Better than Lake Louise. Once it was a huge volcanic mountain. When the lava erupted from the sides, the massive cone collapsed in on the empty space were the lava was. The result is a crater that is five miles across and a lake that is on average over a thousand feet deep! It is filled with rain water and melted snow.


From there I rode south through more beautiful scenery and along lonely secondary highways, into North California. I wanted to ride within striking distance of San Francisco, because the only thing I had prebooked on this journey is a tour of Alcatraz and a hotel in San Francisco for two nights. So, I have decided to bypass the redwoods and the coastal drive in Oregon until after San Fran. Anyway, I bit off a bit too much highway and for the first time, rode well after sunset. I don't really like riding at night and will not make a habit of it. However, I arrived safely in Weed California just in time to get a view of Mount Shasta, a beautifully formed large volcano, and then settle in at the Town Motel. The owner, of Indian persuasion was happy to tell me he had a brother living in Maple. That's it. Tomorrow, I plan to visit Lassen Volcanic National Park on my way to San Fran. See you there.



No comments:

Post a Comment