Friday, October 15, 2010

School Stuff











On the way to ziplining we past a small rural school up on the ridge. After zip-lining, I asked David, our guide, if we could stop there. I told him I was a teacher and he thought that would be great. So, we stopped and he asked the teacher if it was okay. She was just dismissing the kids, so she called them back. There were a total of seven children in five grades and two teachers and one parent. The school has two rooms, one is the classroom and the other is the teacher’s residence! She lives on site. The class had a few books and one computer, and there was an old playground outside. The head teacher had the kids demonstrate their math skills with some manipulatives. The little ones were doing adding, others, place value and the two oldest kids were making geometric patterns. We stayed about twenty minutes, took some pictures, waved goodbye and were gone. Now, when I do my year of show and tell, when I get back to Lescon, I have some pictures and a story for the kids. I’m going to try to visit some other schools if the opportunity presents itself.

2 comments:

  1. good idea joe...who knows maybe you will end up teaching somewhere exotic after you are back here for a while. we know someone who did that in bhutan and just loved it. until your next entry, adieu

    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing what you can do with manipulatives (I gather there were no pencils & paper)!!! Heart-warming experience, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete