Friday, October 1, 2010

Off To A Screeching Stop!!





Arrived about an hour late in Bogota, and was a little worried about my connection to Equador, when they made announcements in Spanish that all connecting flights to Quito and beyond were cancelled! We heard there was a problem with the president and he was in hospital. We weren't told whether he was sick or injured. Total confusion.

Customs was mobbed and no one knew where we were supposed to go. It was not the airlines fault so we had to fend for ourselves. After a long time, and hooking up with two women, Sylvie and Gracia, from Equador (who speak spanish!) we were rescued by a taxi driver who works for a group of hotels taking people from the airport to hotels. I can't believe how he got all of us and our luggage into his compact car!

After a bit of a ride to who knows where, we arrived at Posada's House, Casa Hotel (it's the white building above, the other is the street). Room was tiny, but clean, staff and taxi driver very helpful and friendly, and I had a translator in Sylvie. She latched onto me because she didn't want to be alone and I needed a translator. So the connections with other travelers begins.

At the hotel we found out the police had attacked and kidnapped the president, and then the army had rescued him from a hospital where he was being held. A couple of people were killed and chaos reigned, which is why they closed the airport.

Didn't sleep well but, at least I wasn't at the airport with my bag as a pillow. Had a provided egg, fruit and toast breakfast. The three of us have been on the phone talking to our connecting airlines trying to get on another flight. Supposedly the crisis has passed and Quito is open again. Apparently I am booked on a flight at 2 to arrive in Quito by 3:30 but Avianca needs to have Air Canada reissue me a ticket. I think they were having trouble getting them to reissue it, or having trouble contacting them, I'm not sure which. I need to phone them back by 10 our time (11 yours) to see if it's been sorted out. Apparently I have to have it sorted out before I get to the airport because they will not issue it there. Denise is helping from Toronto. I am thankful for my new laptop and wi-fi! So there are still issues. Here's hoping that we can get it sorted out. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your adventure has already begun and you haven't even reached your first destination! Usually it's the army who kidnaps presidents and the police come to the rescue. I guess only in Bogota (Columbia) is it the other way around...glad you're not staying there! Pleased that you had a translator and some company to help you out. Hope you make the new flight to Quito: thanks to Denise for being your trusty advisor. Good luck and keep well. Once you're on the boat it should be clear sailing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Joe, que paso?
    I read about the trouble in Ecuador yesterday and thought -o shit- Joe's headed right for it!
    It sounds like it has settled down, so hopefully Air Canada won't leave you high and dry (which is one of their specialties!). I hope to read that all is well and you are on your way tomorrow. Nice to latch up with fellow travellers -strength in numbers! Maybe you're just getting any adversity out of the way right at the beginning.

    hang in there
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. just remember to breathe...hope you caught the flight you expected to...good luck

    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldnt believe it
    you left Toronto at 1515 on the 30 Sept and at 1630 I received an email telling me of closed airports ,and rioting police
    I was watching your flight up until midnight and thought you had made the flight to Quito--but it was indeed a no go
    so glad to hear from you safe and sound in Bogota

    ReplyDelete