Monday, October 25, 2010

Inca Trail Day 2






Friday October 22.

Today is the day we've all heard about - the hardest climbing. We're off and hiking by 6:00. The Irish couple, John and Saobhan who are on their honeymoon, are going back as John is feeling really poorly. The first 8km of todays hike climbs 1.1 kms! It's exhausting. Mark and I fall into a steady routine of steady going and lots of breaks to regain our breath. We fall behind the others, but that's okay. I feel a bit better today. Better hydrated and with Mark's company I'm beginning to feel I can conquer this thing. It tooks us four and a half hours to reach Dead Woman's Pass at 4215 metres. The pass is the small peak in the middle of the 'v' in picture number two. I look right chuffed leaning against the post that says you've reached the summit.
Now what? A descent of 400 metres over 4km down rough, uneven steps that make Megan's cottage steps look like an escalator. Mark and I lead the way down a few minutes ahead of the pack. Just goes to show that our legs and fitness level are fine, it's just the breathing at altitude. It's hard on the legs though and some people complain about the knees. When we got to camp the porters where there applauding us! We settled into our tents and then had lunch. Thankfully my appetite is back and I feel tired but not whipped like yesterday. The camp is very damp and chilly. We hang out in our tent and talk and nap. There is nothing to do at camp and frankly everyone is too exhausted to do much. After dinner and a meeting about tomorrow (during which Ali tells us the worst is yet to come - the Gringo Killer stairs), we all head to bed.

Sorry about the spacing on this thing. The program shows me one way and then posts another. Oh well.

Hey Atilla: I know you are following, so send me your e-mail, I don't seem to have it.

3 comments:

  1. At least when you reach the summit at Bonnie Brae there is a James
    Bond martini waiting.......

    ReplyDelete