Saturday, October 16, 2010

Lima to Nasca







Taxi picked me up at 6:30 and the driver helped me with checking in and stayed with me until I was safely loaded onto the bus. They have security as you load on the bus, just like an airport. The bus was very comfortable, had movies and they served me both breakfast and lunch. The food was crap, but it kept us going. The drive south from Lima to Nasca is through the desert. The ocean is not far away, but the land is bone dry. Just sand and stones. Nothing grows except where they irrigate around small towns. The drivers here are a bit agressive, always using their horns, passing on blind corners and sometimes our bus just about forced people coming towards us off the road as we passed other trucks.

I was met at the bus station and taken to my hotel. Nothing to rave about, but I have my own room. The wall plugs in Peru, only accept two prongs not three, which is a problem for my computer. So, I was thinking that when I got here I'd see if I could buy a new cable with just two prongs. I showed mine to the guy who works at this hotel, and he said that it wouldn't work here. So he took me a couple of doors down to a small hardware store and got me an adapter that accepts the three prongs and only has two outputs for the wall. Problem solved for 50 cents!

The hotel is right on the town square. Since it was only three o'clock, I decided to go and sit in the square and people watch. I wound up sitting for a while, then walking around the square and some of the streets, buying toothpaste, an ice cream, and getting my head shaved for $3! I feel totally safe here, unlike in Quito and Lima. No one was bugging me or trying to sell me something. Watched a group of men hand making cement, hard work.

Came inside to phone my family and Peter. Good to talk to people back home. That's it. Tomorrow the Nasca Lines!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe,
    Sorry we missed your call...
    it looks like a totally barren place there, a hard place to live
    ...nice to have someone shave your head for you once in awhile, tho'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good you are getting used to the "suicide buses"...this will prepare you for your eventual rides in India and Sri Lanka. what a bargain price for a head shave...no nicks I hope!

    first call ever from Peru...sorry to have missed it.

    g

    ReplyDelete
  3. one more thing....gotta love the barber's calendar

    g

    ReplyDelete