Friday, October 1, 2010

The New Adventure Begins


And so it begins! I am currently sitting on the plane flying from Toronto to Bogata, Columbia. Since coming home from my amazing western US bike trip, I have had a very busy, stressful, hectic ten days. After dealing with a number of issues in and out of the house (broken vacuum cleaner, broken lawnmower, leaky roof), organizing, getting visas and other documents, packing, canceling insurance on my car and bike, and innumerable other tasks, which occupied me right up to the time Danny drove me to the airport, I think I am finally ready to enjoy the year’s adventures, part two!
During the ten days I was home, there were some less hectic times when I got to enjoy the company of the people I will miss the rest of the year: running the Terry Fox run with Carol half an hour after arriving home from the US; playing tennis and catch with Danny; hanging out with my euchre friends at a party thrown in my honour at Ken’s house; eating sushi with Peter, celebrating my mother’s birthday at Balsamico with dad, Chris, Megan, and Danny; getting my teeth cleaned and having dinner and drinks out with my sister and then heading back to her place to hang out with Paul; playing pool with Mike Turner; meeting my teacher collegues at a pub after school; then visiting them at school (which finally made me realize school had started and that I wasn’t supposed to be there); hanging out with Peter, Mike and Atilla the other night setting up this new mini notebook computer…. Yikes, I’ve been very busy! No wonder it took to the very last minute to get all the details sorted out! I am very lucky to have as many amazing family and friends as I have. I will miss all of you over the coming months. I really appreciate all of your good wishes!
I must be doing something right, I came back from the US and discovered I’d won $2400 in Lotto Advance, and just before I left on this trip, I checked a couple of Lotto Max tickets I’d purchased before I left for the States and discovered I’d won another $127.10! Go figure.
I’m glad to have all of you along on my journey. I’m happy that you are interested in the trip, reading the blog and responding to me via the blog or e-mail. In addition to family and friends in Toronto, I now welcome some new friends from my American journey: Tim and Kyle from the amazing Zion National Park Angel’s Landing hike, Wayne and Laura who I met in Red Lodge, and the family from Georgia! Welcome.
So, here I sit, bumping along through the air at 520 mph at 34000 feet, in my own seat with no one beside me (thanks for arranging that Denise!). Dinner was non descript, the movies are tedious, but I have a good book, my music and my new toy to occupy me. Currently drinking a free Heinekin and toasting myself and the events about to unfold. I’m one lucky guy. Let the adventure begin!

1 comment:

  1. yes---what an amazing travel consultant you have
    I always arrange it so my clients have empty seats next to them !!!

    Well here we go Joe . Looking forward to reading your blog on this extensive journey

    ReplyDelete