Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Peruvian Inner City School







Here are some pictures of the school I was talking about. Yes that is the front door. I didn't even know there was a school there until it opened. The teacher were all gracious and had the kids do their work so I could watch. The one had his whole class read in preparation for an oral reading comprehension exam. I think it will be interesting to show these pictures to the Lescon students when I return. In some ways it's the same as here and other ways it's vastly different. I'm glad that they let me look around. I didn't have any proof that I was a teacher. They just took me word for it. I guess Mario is having heart palpitations
reading this!
If a person came from Peru, said they were a teacher and wanted to look around and take photos, we'd phone the police and have an internal lockdown! Different worlds.

4 comments:

  1. Keep visiting those schools and perhaps we can write the hole trip off as a business expense:)

    I finally got caught up on your blog...my God you are a prolific writer. By the stories, you seem to be meeting great people...and of course the pictures are amazing...especially the Galapagos ones.
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Joe
    Enjoy the hike, I'm sure it will be challenging...and rewarding (sounds like an advert for joining the army, ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the fact that there were no green spaces, the school seems to resemble inner city schools here. The fact that they let you in without checking your credentials shows how trusting they are of outsiders. Lucky you getting a chance to see schools in other countries!! Glad you're enjoying yourself a ton. Have fun on the Inca trail! Oh what I'd give to do a three-day hike like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess once a teacher, always a teacher....

    Your adventures are adventurous and your pictures are outstanding. And you are very, very brave...if I found a 2 inch cockraoch and a spider on my pillow I would not be as brave as you. And eating a guinea pig - NO, NO, NO! But on the other hand I would be very svelt because I would not eat the food.

    In you next career, you should be a travel writer.

    Take care.

    smooch, smooch

    ReplyDelete