Thursday, October 28, 2010

Off All Too Soon







Thursday October 28.

We were awoken by red howler monkeys! Unbelievable noise. They sound like a cross between the wind roaring across the arctic ice and water running down the drain. Truly amazing noise and loud! There was no way you'd sleep through it.

Packed up our room, put our luggage out and went for a hike through the forest to the canopy tour. Climbed 185 steps to reach the top where we were up above the forest canopy. Amazing view. Mist coming up from the forest, trees everywhere, birds flying all over. Macaws and parrots screaming as they flew by.

Then back for breakfast and to leave, unfortunately. I would really have loved to stay another day. However, not to be. So, we were bundled up in the canoes, to the bus and then the airport, only to find my luggage wasn't there and my boarding pass said I was flying from Lima to Bogota (Columbia) instead of from Maldonado to Cuzco! Bit stressful and confusing, but luckily there were two young Canadian girls with us who were traveling with a GAP guide. She stepped up and was able to help me with both problems. My luggage was on a different bus that arrived a half hour later.

Short flight back to Cuzco. I got off the plane and left Mark on it. He's carrying on to Lima on his way back home to Perth Australia. He was a great companion on two trips and a great room mate. Hopefully we'll meet up again somewhere.

Taxi to the same hotel, Prisma. I decided to phone Ali and see if he could help me find a place to look at my laptop. He came to help in a matter of ten minutes! Walked me to a computer shop he knows, but when we started it up, it worked fine! Oops. Then he recommended a travel agent for me, because I want to organize the next leg.

Then back to the room to read all 25 messages I got from family and friends! Thanks for that, really appreciate it.

Then I went out to visit the travel agent, only to discover she didn't speak English. So, I found another one, a young man who spoke English, was very helpful and was from Quebec! So, he is working on an agenda.

Found a very clean bakery for dinner where I had an empanana (beef, spices, a few vegetables, in a pastry) and a delicious fruit salad. While there I met a couple about my age from Etobicoke who were going to Machu Picchu tomorrow by train. Talked to them for about an hour and then back to the hotel to update the blog!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it just great all the wonderful folks you are meeting; and hopefully will meet again at some point. Glad that you didn't have guinea pig for dinner. Just wanted to say again how great the pics are Joe. Nature in all its splendour. Mike will just love the spiders!

    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of the rain forest are exactly what I expected....very cool, very surreal. Very disappointed, no Anacondas....what is a trip through the amazon without an Anaconda encounter:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want those ants or spiders (or snakes) crawling anywhere near me...!!!

    ReplyDelete