Friday, July 8, 2022

To Page, Utah

From my balcony before sunrise.
Back in the Monument, sunrise behind the 'Mittens'.
Oleng, my sunset, sunrise buddy.
This is the Goulding's Trading Post and Motel where I stayed.
Another magnificent monolith that appears on the horizon.
Glen Canyon Dam, which creates Lake Powell.
The Colorado River downstream from the dam.
Horseshoe Bend. For scale those white dots are boats.
An incredible rock cut down to the valley below.
A segment of the Vermillion Cliffs.
Oh no... what's this?
The Colorado cutting through Marble Canyon. See the rafters?

Friday, July 8th.

I woke before the sunrise so I rode over to the View Hotel again to see the sunrise behind the mittens. I had to pay the $8 entrance fee again. I met the doctor from Botswana again. His name is Oteng. We talked about travel and COVID and took photos before he joined his 6 o’clock tour. He said watching people die of COVID made him realize that life could be short and he wanted to enjoy it. I returned to the hotel and packed up. I rode west through more beautiful cowboy land to Page, Utah. I arrived about 10 and found a scenic viewpoint and did a short walk to see the Glen Canyon Dam and the Colorado River. Then I went to a visitor’s centre where I talked to a lonely lady who gave me a few pointers of what to see. So I set out to see the Horseshoe Bend viewpoint. Here I did another short walk in blazing hot sun. The view was incredible. Then I continued southwest towards the Vermillion Cliffs. I remember them from my last trip out here. I was getting very low on gas, and knew I didn’t have enough to get back, so I continued hopefully. I certainly didn’t want to run out of gas here in this heat. Then I came across the State Trooper in the photo blocking the road. I asked if I could pass as I was desperate for gas. He said no, but explained there was a shoot up a head and the road would open again in ten minutes, (thankfully!). Just past him I came to the historic Navajo Bridge at Marble Canyon, which are both on the Colorado River. Just as I arrived a beautiful huge California condor flew low right over my head with his 3 metre wingspan. I got filled up and then parked at the bridge viewpoint but sadly did not see the condor again, but I did see the film makers. I stayed for a half hour, but couldn’t take the heat any longer (it was 39) so I rode back to Page. I booked a Comfort Inn, checked in and jumped into their indoor pool. Then I fell asleep for two hours and woke at five. I spent the evening planning the next few days and blogging. A total of 352 kms today.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe.....I didn't know you were on another trip until I read your email this morning. I checked out all the days you have been riding so far. Looks like you are having lots of fun, although I can't say I envy riding in100 degree heat. I've been stuck on I75 in 95 degree heat on an air cooled Harley and it's not exactly what I would call fun. Good for weight loss though.
    What's you destination or is it wide open?
    Give that bike a pat on the tank for me. She's been good to you.
    Safe riding

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to re read this a couple of times! Thought at first there was a hold up ahead, not a film shoot! The early morning sounds really worthwhile. Stay cool though mate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being a bike rider, I appreciate Doug's perspective about the trials of riding in really hot weather. Still, the geography looks ruggedly gorgeous. Must be worth it.

    ReplyDelete