Wednesday, July 20, 2022

From Alpine to Alpine?

The beginning of Provo Canyon.
Bridal Veil Falls.
 
Two more views from the Provo Canyon Scenic Drive.
Over the top of the pass.
A sandhill crane searching for insects in the field.
A huge reservoir serving the needs of the Salt Lake City area and used as a recreation site.

A family of pronghorn antelope, who took off when they spotted me.
Driving north through Wyoming.
The Nordic Inn, where I tried to stay in 2010...
Michael and Karyn of the Nordic Inn.

Wednesday, July 20th.

I slept like a log and woke up at 8, packed and was off by 9. I drove the very pretty Provo Canyon Scenic Drive that the construction lady told me about yesterday. I rode the Alpine Loop within the canyon, which was a 25 mile loop on a very narrow, paved but unlined road that twisted and turned up and over a mountain, with a maximum speed limit of 20mph. Then I continued through the canyon to Park City, which is a very touristy little town probably mainly for people from Salt Lake City. From there I continued north until I left Utah and crossed into Wyoming. I stopped for lunch at Evanston, which is directly south of Yellowstone National Park. On a whim I decided to phone the Nordic Inn where I had a very interesting experience in 2010 (please click this link: https://nomadicjj.blogspot.com/2010/09/western-hospitality.html ) to see if the same people still owned it. The woman I remember, who reminded me of Joan Collins answered the phone, so I asked if she had a room for the night, which they did (this time) and I booked it. It was a three hour ride to get there through some beautiful scenery and the first productive and healthy looking farming I’d seen for a while. The highway started in Wyoming, then back into Utah, then Idaho and finally back into Wyoming… very strange, have to check it on the map… When I finally arrived in Alpine, Wyoming where the Inn is, I checked in with Karyn and told her my story of the night she helped me out even when she didn’t have an available room. She found me a woman who took me home. Obviously it meant more to me than her, but gradually she remembered. The Inn, pub and restaurant were really busy, so I went to my room and got sorted out. Then I returned and sat at the bar and had a turkey dinner and a couple of Corona. When things quieted down I had a really nice talk with Karyn and her brother Michael. This is their last year of operation, they are going to retire. They are no longer friends with Cheri, the woman who let me stay in her place twelve years ago. They no longer winter in New Zealand, instead they go to Portugal. The Inn and the bar have not changed in the 12 years since I was here, but the area certainly has. It is getting quite developed much to their chagrin. Nice people and I am really glad I went. It kind of put a closure to that experience, in that I did get to stay at the Inn this time. And it seemed to stamp a conclusion of sorts to this trip. Today’s ride 490 kms.

1 comment:

  1. Being able to stay at The Nordic Inn is a sweet ending to your saga from 12 years ago. It looks like a comfy place to take a break, and reminisce with the owners. Nice people. Great chapter to add to your 2022 adventure story.

    ReplyDelete