Sunday, July 24, 2022

Nebraska

This could be downtown any town out here, but is actually Sidney Nebraska.
Ahh, much nicer temperature for riding...
This was actually a designated 'scenic viewpoint', believe it or not.
...and this was across the highway.
Interstate 80 and a couple of the trucks...
Corn, windmill and flag... iconic.
What's he looking at? Where do you think he's going?
Two shots of the Sandhills region in north central Nebraska.

 Sunday, July 24th.

Underway by 8 this morning and took Interstate 80 for the first hour to North Platte, then I took 83 north, which is a secondary highway. That was a much more relaxed and enjoyable ride. I stumbled across a beautiful area of rolling green hills, with no trees anywhere. When I got to the next town I learned it was called the Sandhills region. This from Wikipedia:

The Sandhills are a region of mixed-grass prairie on grass-stabilized sand dunes in north-central Nebraska, covering just over one quarter of the state. The dunes were designated a National Natural Landmark in 1984.

I took a couple of other secondary roads east as far as a town called Grand Island (no idea why in the middle of a prairie…). I wasn’t clear where I was in relation to Omaha so I headed back down to Interstate 80 and drove the last 150 miles to Omaha. I arrived at 8 and found I’d gained an hour somewhere in Nebraska. I booked a Motel 6 and ate at Applebees and settled in for the night. Another 838 kms today.


1 comment:

  1. I'm shaking my head about the validity of that scenic viewpoint - whoever designated that, just hasn't traveled as much as you have, and has set a pretty low bar. IMO, your pics of the windmill/cornfield/US flag and the cattle herd are easily more worthy of a photo stop in this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete