Saturday, April 30, 2016

Week Three Term Two

Daily indoor snack time.
This is the train I catch from Caulfield School to my home in Chelsea.
How to make friends, outside the train station.
These people where outside Finder's Station where I'd gone to meet Lucy.
Lucy and I after a long night of talking about Australia, underwater sports, Canada and Colombia.


Tuesday-Friday, April 26-29th
Back to school on a Tuesday morning which was nice for a change. I had ordered book two and three of the Parvana trilogy and they arrived this week. The kids are very excited about that.

I told Amanda that I would not be attending the evening professional learning on Tuesday after school, as I had to take my bicycle tire into the Bicycle Superstore to get it repaired. Thankfully I got there before it shut and they fixed it on the spot. I had a heck of time getting it back on because of the front brakes. I didn't ride at all this week.

Other than that it was a normal albeit short week. I managed to get all of the work done that I needed to do before switching groups again. We have settled into a relaxed routine, the kids know what to expect from me and what I expect from them, so by enlarge things are running fairly seemlessly.

Singing on Wednesday with Joel was good. The kids seem to be enjoying the songs he selects and singing in a large choir of 160 kids. Sport on Friday was cancelled for us because of inclement weather.

One evening I took the train downtown to Flinder's Station to met with Lucy (Lucero) a woman who had contacted me online. From her profile I knew she played underwater hockey and rugby! I was very interested in learning more about that. We spent a very enjoyable evening in a coffee shop and a restaurant, talking for hours. She is now an Australian citizen, but she hails from Colombia and has a delightful accent and an interesting command of the English language. I learned all about the sports and her history of playing over the last three decades! She started in the pools with synchronized swimming and then water polo before immersing herself in underwater hockey. She has played in numerous national and international competitions and won many medals in all of those sports. Truly inspiring. We also talked about Canada, Colombia and Australia. 

A few of us went out to celebrate a couple of birthdays. Shawna's was on the holiday Monday and Claire, my teaching partner was on Friday. So Libby, Carol, Bev and I took them out for a couple of drinks. As usual we had a few good laughs. Libby is a going concern and the life of the party. I took the train in that day because of the outing. So Libby caught a Uber cab (first one I had ever been in) and took me part way home. She dropped me off at Parkdale Station and I caught the train from there.

Another wonderful week passes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment