Saturday, April 9, 2016

South Australia

 The beach and the shoreline of Fleurieu Peninsula.
 Some locals.
 The reservoir. 
 An MG rally.
 A short free ferry across the river.
 Look at the cockatoos, can you imagine the racket!
Go kart racing.

Saturday, April 9th.
I slept in a bit this morning and then hung around the room for an hour as it was raining. When it stopped I retraced my route from last night back up the highway towards Adelaide. I was right, it was a beautiful ride, past rolling hills, ocean views, and lots of animal farms. I saw a large dam and reservoir as well. I went about 40 kms before 'chucking a Uie' and going back to the tavern. When I got there I phoned Robert from last night, but unfortunately was unable to reach him. So either he was busy or had a change of mind.

I decided to drive on. I found a different route back that would not take me through the heart of Adelaide. I drove around the Fleurieu Peninsula with more beautiful scenery to the town of Victor Harbour. This appears to be an Australian holiday town. When I got there I found a MG collectors gathering with about 50 of the cars in the park. I decided to take my bicycle out of the car and explore for a bit. There is an island off shore that is connected by a causeway along which a poor old horse drags a tram full of tourists across for $7 each. I rode across and then explored the island by foot as it was hilly with stairs. I found a Subway restaurant and had a wrap before continuing on in the car.

I got back on the road which eventually took me back to the main highway. I thought that since tonight was Saturday I should see if I could find some car racing on the way. I drove until it started to get dark and at a gas station I saw a guy who had a stock car on a trailer behind his UTE. I stopped and asked him where I might find some racing. He told me about a half hour further I would come to Bordertown where there was cart racing tonight.

So I drove on and found a dirt track with heaps of go carts. I decided to stay here and watch, but went and got a motel room first and then came back. I watched for a couple of hours, but it was not as fun as actual stock cars. Then back to the hotel to catch up on the typing.


A total of 485 kms of driving today.

1 comment:

  1. Is that organized go carts (sort of like Merritville) or can anyone sign up and jump in one?

    ReplyDelete