Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Jumping Over Uluru

And away we go! (Watch the jump)
Last minute instructions.
The view I wanted to see! The rock from 12000 feet up!
Assuming the launch position...
Out we go!
There it is...
Hey, I'm flying this thing!
Down, safe and sound.


Jump in slow motion.

Continued from last post.
While I was hiking I met a couple who told me they had skydived over Uluru. So when I got back to the lodge I checked it out. I decided I wanted to see it from the sky and so as a birthday present to myself I booked it. The company came and picked me up at 5:00 for the sunset jump. There was a man and woman who picked me up. One was the office person who did all the paper work and the other was the diver I would be attached to. Their names were Meagan and Chris! How weird is that? (My sister and brother for those of you who don't know).

Chris got me all kitted up while we waited for the pilot to get organized. Then we went out to the plane. It was a little old (1982) plane that looked like it had been through better days, especially inside. Chris started diving that year as well and has done almost 9000 jumps!

Unfortunately the evening had gotten cloudy and hazy but the views from the plane were still impressive. The rock is so different from the rest of the landscape. Chris pointed out a number of different sights. And then it was time to hang outside the plane before he launched us both. We did a forward roll and then we were falling at 200 kms per hour. The wind tried to rip my cheeks off, my mouth dried out and when I spread my arms, as instructed, it tried to take them off. Then the parachute launched and we floated down more gently. The views were spectacular even though it was mostly cloudy and the sun was setting. Chris gave me control of the chute and told me which way to go and we circled around looking at Uluru and the resort complex. We landed gently right were we were supposed to and where Meagan was waiting for us. I took a picture of the three of us.

They took me back to the hotel and I went in for a celebratory beer before cooking my dinner again. This time I had a combo pack. I had an emu sausage, a skewer of kangaroo and a skewer of prawns. I did them up with some tomato and onions. Then I relaxed and listened to the live music before heading off to bed to type.

A total of 186 km of driving today.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic Joe! Glad you are enjoying every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are some pretty crazy photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure I'm not sharing these pictures with Alexander. P.S. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fantastic birthday celebration (kinda weird about the names matching your sibs) (Cindy W)

    ReplyDelete