Sunday, February 14, 2016

Wilsons Promontory National Park

A mob of kangaroos!
Whiskey Bay and the rock boulders.

One end of Squeaky Beach.
Squeaky Beach and the white squeaky sand.

Sunday, February 14th.
I woke up before everyone, packed up and left by 8:30, (I had told them I would probably do this). I picked up some gas and breakfast from a small grocery and left Phillip Island. It was a long, beautiful drive to Wilsons Promontory National Park through some cattle farms and some forests. There was little traffic and lots of views. I got lost briefly and found a mob of kangaroos in a farmers field, sometimes it pays to get lost!

I arrived about 10:30. I drove through the park as it climbed to the mountainous area at the southern tip of mainland Australia. I stopped at Whiskey Bay, which is a beautiful beach strewn with large boulders that had to have been shot out of a volcano years ago. Then I went to Squeaky Beach where for some reason the shape of the grains of sand cause them to squeak loudly underfoot. This is another gorgeous beach, so I hung around here hiking over the rocks and going for a short swim in the waves. The water was quite a pleasant temperature. It is not advisable to swim here because of the undertow, so I stayed in shallow water.

I met a group of young French people and asked them why there are so many French people in Australia and they told me it is easy for them to come and work here before they turn 30. 

1 comment:

  1. did you make up a mob of kangaroos? Isn't it interesting how we describe groups of animals? My favourites are a wake of buzzards, and an army of caterpillars… there's an image to keep one up at night.
    Meg. xox

    ReplyDelete