Sunday, February 21, 2016

Flinders, Cape Schanck Lighthouse and Blairgowrie Beach

 Flinders Beach
The Cape Schanck Lighthouse and Cape Schanck below.



Blairgowrie Beach

Sunday, February 21st.
Skyped with Mom and Dad this morning before heading out on another road trip. I decided to drive to the southern shore of the Mornington Peninsula. On route I saw a road called Canadian Bay Road, so I had to investigate that. It lead to another small rocky beach in a cove.

From there I drove to Flinders on the peninsula. When I got to the lookout over the beach
I met a surfer who was standing at the top with his surfboard in two pieces! I said better it than him. We talked for a bit and he recommended a couple of things to do in the area. Then I walked down the steps to the beach and walked along it. At the end there is Mushroom Marine Nature Reserve which is home to a wide variety of marine animals including the Weedy Dragon and the Blue Ringed Octopus which is small but has a deadly bite full of neurotoxic. I watched a number of hang gliders and paragliders launch themselves off the cliff and float above us on the wind currents.

I went back to the car and drove further to Cape Schanck and it's 160 year old lighthouse. It is one of three or four lighthouses that were used to guide ships past the rocks along the coast and the through the Bass Strait between Australia and Tasmania. I took a tour of the lighthouse and climbed the interior steps to get an even better view of the cape. Then I climbed down the two hundred steps to the end of the peninsula. Another beautiful rock landform.

From there I drove to Arthur's Seat which on a hill that gives a commanding view of the coastline and beaches below. Then I drove along the coast to Blairgowrie Beach just before Sorrento and decided to hang out there for a while. It is on the bay side of the peninsula where the water is calm and shallow. I brought a mask and snorkel with me and went of a swim. The water was cool at first but I got used to it quickly and I swam around for a while looking for fish, but not many here. I lay on a towel and read for a bit while I dried off.

From there I drove to Sorrento and thought about having fish and chips for dinner, but decided against it and took the scenic coastal route all the way back home. I arrived about eight and settled in for the night.

1 comment: