Thursday, August 17, 2023

Hiking in Denali

Horseshoe Lake overlook.
The beaver dam that created it.

Beautiful glacier lake colouring.
Someone was sleeping it that hammock.
Alaskan birch trees.
Berries - bear food.

A suspension bridge.

Fireweed - it blooms from the bottom up. When it gets to the top it signals summer's over...
You just can't make this stuff up...

Thursday, August 17th.

After breakfast, this morning I went to the lobby looking for things to do today and tomorrow morning before we leave Denali. I booked two trips and found out about some hiking trails in the area. I took the hotel shuttle to the Denali Visitor Centre and explored the exhibits there about the natural history of the park and the animal inhabitants, before setting out to hike a couple of trails. I walked through the beautiful boreal forest and around Horseshoe Lake enjoying the smells, sounds, the serenity, solitude and fresh air. This morning was drier and showed distinct signs of clearing up. I hope so for this afternoon's activity's sake. I walked for about three hours just enjoying the park. Then I took the shuttle back to the Chalet to have lunch before my afternoon adventure, which I will relate on the next post.

4 comments:

  1. You took great shots, Joe, that captured the beauty of the area. Just looking at them makes me imagine the smell of the clear clean air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you did in the afternoon...but everyone is waiting with bated breath!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i could have done without the maggot story other than that ..... what a time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete