Thursday, August 3, 2023

From Vancouver to Alaska, Northern Canada and the Northwest Passage

I am off on another 7 week long trip encompassing most of northern North America. It started with plans formulated with about twenty different fellow passengers on the 2019 cruise from Paraguay to Antarctica that I took with my English friend John, and where we bunked with our new English friend Bruce. The group of us planned to journey with the same ship, same crew and a number of the same passengers the following summer to the Arctic... but alas, COVID happened and the trip was postponed and then cancelled outright. I learned about the Adventure Canada tour of northern Canada from a friend and invited John and Bruce, who were eager to come. But we had to wait another two years before it came to fruition. The starting place is Yellowknife and I thought, if I am going up there why not try to get to Whitehorse too? Then my sister took an Alaskan cruise and raved about it, so I investigated Alaskan cruises and discovered one that met my needs. It includes a cruise up the coast, an overland portion to Denali National Park and time spent in the Yukon. I have a friend in Whitehorse who graciously suggested I come to visit for the time I needed to fill before meeting John and Bruce in Yellowknife. Vola! a northern adventure is created. 
I hope that you will find the locations and posts interesting. Below are the maps of the two voyages.
Please read the blog on a computer rather than a phone where the screen is just too small. Clicking on any photo will enlarge it to full screen. Anyone can add feedback, insights, comments and good wishes in the box at the bottom of any page, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks and enjoy!
The 18 Day Holland America cruise from Vancouver to Alaska.
The seventeen day Out of the Northwest Passage cruise with Adventure Canada.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Joe, Lee and I did the Vancouver to Alaska cruise but in the reverse order some years back. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I suspect the ship is one of the smaller ones to navigate some of those narrow spots and get close to the glaciers. Beware of the 18 hour dining lounge. It's deadly. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy your dream came true. I look forward to your adventures. And they always are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Joe just realized you must be posting i have lots of catching up to do

    so far just looked at pics again fantastic

    ReplyDelete