Sunday, August 6, 2023

Boarding the Noordam

The Noordam
Canada Place, the cruise ship dockyards.
My cozy stateroom.

Goodbye Vancouver.
I love the islolation of lighthouses.
The beautiful skies of the inside passage.

Two passing cruise ships returning from Alaska.
The sister ship of the Norwegian Pearl that I took on the 2014 Progressive Rock cruise. 

Sunday, August 6th.

I was up early, packed up and ready for John who picked me up at 8. We drove to Canada Place where the cruise ships dock. We found Holland America’s Noordam easily and then found a restaurant to have breakfast. We both had the muesli and talked while marveling at the beehive of activity of cars, vans, buses, and tourists coming and going. John and I had a terrific three days together after a very long time. There was no discomfort or awkwardness between us, as we knew each other very well already. We talked, listened, and laughed a lot. I got to see some of the natural beauty around Vancouver and John had a short holiday with me as he had not been to any of the three sights either. It was bittersweet to part; I was excited to be getting on the monstrous ship at the harbour but was sad to say goodbye to John. Then I began the boarding process. There were several cruise ships loading up at the same time. It was incredibly busy but, very well organized with lots of guidance and instruction. The first step was to drop off the suitcase. I was directed to an indoor parking lot where there were buses and trucks loading up luggage. My luggage was put on a truck with dozens of others where they took it to be screened and then delivered to my stateroom. Back to boarding area where I had to check-in showing my passport and boarding pass. Next to a snaking line of passengers to the customs check, then passport control. Then to a large room with rows of folding chairs where we were directed to sit and wait patiently for the ship to give the word that we could all board. The whole process was quick and efficient. Once on board I easily found my room which is very nice and has a balcony. I spent the rest of the afternoon settling into the room, and exploring the ship trying to get my bearings and figure out what was where. I walked miles! The ship carries almost 2000 passengers and has a crew of 800. I had dinner and then relaxed watching the sunset and getting comfortable in my room. Sunset was gorgeous and two cruise ship passed us heading south. They were spectacular with their lights on as the sky darkened. I spent a couple of hours in the evening visiting the two bars on board with entertainment, one with a live band playing oldies and the other with two piano players doing requests. To bed about 12. Clock goes back another hour overnight as we enter the Alaska time zone.

3 comments:

  1. Joe your blogs so far are terrific (as expected)- very descriptive -looking forward to more of the same- enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the adventure begins!!!

    ReplyDelete