Thursday, February 17, 2011

Last Game Drive and Return to Nairobi






Thursday February 17th.

Two hour morning game drive today, starting at 6:30. We entered the park just at day break. We saw a number of dik dik, which are the smallest antelope. They hide in and around bushes. We saw a family of warthogs, and two separate hyaena, both of whom loped off of the savannah and into the brush when they saw us coming. We saw elephants, impala and zebra too. Then it was time to head back for breakfast.

When we got back to camp, breakfast wasn't ready yet, so I walked back up to the community school. I wanted to see the school in operation with children in the class. I introduced myself to a teacher and told him I was there late yesterday and would like to see a class. He invited me in and left me take some photos. There were about 50 kids in the grade one class. They were all sitting quietly and working on some arithmetic. When the teacher walked in and said good morning class, they all stood and said good morning teacher and waited to be told to sit. When I said good morning class, they all stood for me too and said “Good morning teacher.” Apparently discipline is still the cane here, although officially the government forbids it.

Then back for breakfast and we left for Nairobi by 9:30. First the really rough dirt road for 2 ½ hours and then the rough paved road for another hour and then the official highway which is in good shape. We stopped for lunch at the same place as on the way out.

Finally arrived in Nairobi by 4;30 and fought our way through the terrible traffic to my new hotel. I checked in, bought wi-fi and then sent all my clothes to the laundry – boy do they need it!!

I have included a photo of our safari group and one of one of the masai warriors that do security around the camp.

The rest of the night I spent in the room reading e-mails and updating the blog. Went down for a quick bite to eat and then back to the room.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe,
    Fantastic pics of the game drive!
    and those are quite a set of ear lobes!

    ReplyDelete