Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

John and the CN Tower
In the Aquarium.
The Toronto Skyline from Centre Island.
Hiding from a rain shower and enjoying a cool one.
Me and my son Danny.
At the Science Centre and brought back great memories of our Africa trip in 2010.
The reunion of the African shirts.
In the park with Shayna.
Having a beer in the airport concocting a next trip: 
possible road trip in England next summer.
I told John not to breathe on anyone on the flight and Bruce sent this to prove he took my advice.

Monday, September 18th.

John, Bruce and I went for a tour of Toronto today. I took them to the Ontario Science Centre because John was interested, but it was closed on Mondays! So, plan B. I took them to the Aquarium. They both enjoyed that. Bruce went across the street to photograph the old trains at the Steamwhistle Brewery. Then we drove to the ferry docks, parked and took the Toronto Island Ferry across to Centre Island. They loved the 15 minute trip across the lake and the view of the city skyline. We had lunch with a couple of pitchers of beer on the island right by the ferry docks looking at the city. Then we walked across the island to the boardwalk on the south shore. As we were walking it started to rain so I took them to a restaurant there where we had a couple more pints waiting for the rain to stop. Then we continued our walk to the small village on Ward’s Island and to the docks there where we took the ferry back to the city. Next I drove them to the boardwalk at the beaches and we walked along that for a bit again enjoying the views of Lake Ontario. Next we went to my son Danny’s house, and they met him and his girlfriend Kristin but he was still working, so I took them to the Dogfish restaurant at Bluffer’s Park where we had fish tacos for dinner. Then we went back to Danny’s and he led us to a pub in his area and we had a nice visit with him while drinking more beer. Finally, we drove back to the Air b’n’b at 11. We had a thoroughly enjoyable long day in Toronto.

Tuesday, September 19th.

We got up, packed up and drove to my parent’s house to leave all the luggage in their garage, so that there was room for us in the car! Then we drove to the Science Centre which was open today. It was an overwhelming place for all of us and a confusing place to find your way around. I asked a guide, and he told us the place was designed for people to get lost in science! After a couple of hours we went to the park to meet up with Shayna. We had a nice visit with her followed by a revisit with Mom and Dad to pick up their luggage and to say goodbye. I drove them to the airport. It was very sad for all of us to have to say goodbye. I drove back to the house to get my luggage and head down to Danny’s apartment where I’ll stay for a few days to protect mom and dad and Shayna and her upcoming cataract surgery from the possibility of me carrying COVID. I had to hang around for an hour or two waiting for Danny to meet me there. He gave me the key, cleaned up a bit and told me what to do and expect. Then he left and I was alone. The end to an amazing 6 or 7 weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed all of it and especially John and Bruce’s company. Shortly after I got a text from them. They were having a beer at the airport and had concocted an idea for the next adventure: a road and camping trip with the three of us in John’s VW van through parts of England to be determined. So the dromomania continues…

2 comments:

  1. It’s good to see you guys travel together again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe! Looks like you had a great time with your friends. Greenland looked very picturesque. I'm guessing in Greenland they speak their native language, English and Danish? Nice Toronto tour with your English friends. Looks like you are really enjoying your retirement! Happy 90th to your mother! Michelle

    ReplyDelete