Sunday, November 6, 2016

Robe to Mt. Grambier

The South Australian coastline.
One of the buildings from the olden days.
The beach at Robe.
Blue Lake crater.
The sink hole.
Another older style home.
This was a series of 10 statutes carved in honour of the ANZAC soldiers.
Although I am not religious, I do find some churches architecturally very attractive.

Sunday, November 6th.
I slept well and slept in. I decided to drive back a different route. I headed south from Keith along secondary roads, to the coastal town of Robe. This was a nice colonial looking tourist town complete with a nice beach. There were many old buildings and a high street full of shops, cafes and restaurants. I wandered around there for a bit and had lunch before continuing south to Mt Gambier. This was a town I was tempted to go to back in March, but it was too far away. Joel had told me to check out Blue Lake here. This was an area of volcanic activity a few thousand years ago. There was a large extinct crater that was full of water that seeps in through the ground. The water was a turquoise blue colour. Apparently it changes colour from this to a dull grey colour based on the temperature or the seasons. It reminded me of Crater Lake in Oregon, but was not as large or as beautiful.

From there I headed east back into Victoria and the long drive back to Melbourne. I had thought of stopping at the Twelve Apostles area of the Great Ocean Road but changed my mind when it became clear how long it was going to take to drive home.

I arrived home exhausted, after stopping at Woolworths for supplies, about 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment