Thursday, November 21, 2019

Homeward Bound


Drinking our bottle of bubbly before noon! as we wait for our shuttle. 
Waiting at the airport. 
 Black faced ibis
 Flamingos
 Long tailed meadowlark

 A barn owl on the prowl.
 Arial fight between the owl and a southern lapwing defending its nest.


Thursday, November 21st.
Sadly last day! We had a relaxing sleep in and then got up and packed for a 10am checkout. We were notified that our transport to the airport would be at noon, so John went for a workout and I went for a swim. Then we met in the lobby and drank the bottle of bubbly wine that Gabriela from Signature Tours had placed in our room when we arrived. Nothing like being tipsy before noon.
The drive to airport was easy and we were both taking the flight to Buenos Aires. I was given the three boarding passing but for there seemed to be a problem with John which took about fifteen minutes to sort out. We never really knew what the problem was. Then we wound up being paged over the PA for the flight! When we arrived in BA we had a five hour layover. John had to pick up his bag from the carousel as it was not forwarded to the second airline and he couldn’t recheck it for the flight to Madrid for another two hours, so he had to carry it around. We hung around, had a chai and then after asking where the best restaurant was (turned out there was only one!) we had dinner and a couple of beer at the Hard Rock Café. We sat and talked, worked on our computers and then finally I decided to go to my gate. As always it is sad to say goodbye to each other, but we have a couple of ideas for future trips, so we’ll see. I had been watching the board and it never said it was boarding but when I got there they were looking for me and again I was paged!
The flight was long, nine hours, and quite turbulent. In fact they held off dinner for an hour because we were rocking and one of the waitresses had all of the stuff fall out of her cart.
Arrived in Houston on time at 5 and went through all the hoops before getting to my final gate to catch the 7:30 flight home. That’s it. Done and sorted. I will write up a reflections post shortly.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Joe, I know this is my only comment, but I would like you know that I followed you and John on your blog all the way. What a brilliant trip! Thank you for all the lovely pictures and detailed information and explanations. I really enjoyed reading all, and I was able to imagine the exertions you made and all the wildlife you watched. It is always a little sad when such an interesting experience comes to the end, mixed, of course, also with the anticipation and joy of coming home!
    With my best wishes for the festive Season, Xmas and, perhaps, a Happy 2020.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even Excursions and Not Perhaps, but Of Course, a very Happy New Year!
    Sorry!! 😃 K

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing adventure ( again) your blog is a treat to read and the pictures as mentioned before are terrific Thanks Joe and John it was great following you to the bottom of the world

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you've become a twitcher! Good photos. You should send them to Marcello.

    ReplyDelete