Monday, April 4, 2011

En Route: Cairo to New Delhi





Sunday April 3rd

I got up early to get organized for today's travel. I had an extra hour, so decided to go for a walk. Wandered around the neighbourhood and promptly got lost. Took awhile, but with some logic and trying to get my bearings from the Nile, I finally found the hotel again.

Loaded my stuff into the cab the hotel had arranged for me. It was the same Nubian driver who drove the three of us to the sound and light show at the pyramids, see the photo. Nice man who loves to point out things of interest. Today he pointed out an Indian temple! So, I told him that's where I'm headed.

The airport was a bit confusing in that the gate for Etihad Airlines (from the United Arab Emirates) wasn't open yet. Finally checked in and found a quiet lounge that actually had wi-fi, first in Egypt. The flight was good, although there were two young children, one a few rows in front and the other a few rows behind, that cried most of the time. That got really tiring. The service and food were both very good. They had an episode of 2 ½ Men. It had some good laughs, so I watched it twice.

Arrived at Abu Dhabi airport within three hours. The airport is very new and beautiful, much like the one in Dubai. The walk from one flight to my connecting flight was lined with high end luxury goods, perfumes, jewelry, electronics, etc.

Sat in the waiting area for a couple of hours with an amazing collection of Arabs and Indians in all their variety of costumes and colours as I waited for the flight from Abu Dhabi to New Delhi. Again the flight was good, service and food great. Arrived in Delhi at 4:30am. I was picked up by a vehicle from the hotel, that Denise had arranged. The airport was big, bright and new looking, it could have been Toronto and the road from there to the city was a major highway with very little traffic because of the hour.

Checked into my hotel and after a few problems with the wi-fi I managed to phone my parents house to tell everyone I had arrived safely and to wish my little sister a very happy birthday, as the whole family and some friends were there for her party. Then I crashed at 6:00.

4 comments:

  1. There's eighteen million (and one) stories in the big city of New Delhi. Joe was just like any other regular guy traveling from one joint to another, looking for adventure but always finding trouble. And he had found that trouble in a pair of dark veiled eyes.....

    Welcome to India Mr.Joseph!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nomadic Joe (tm.) Quality AssuranceApril 4, 2011 at 10:40 PM

    Many of our devoted readers have commented on the reduction of photographs from the usual five to the present three. The blog support team has been presently outsourced to India and is experiencing logistical errorrs in the transition. We appreciate your patience while we improve things by making them worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe wrote also:

    "It was the same Nubian driver who drove the three of us to the sound and light show at the pyramids, see the photo. Nice man who loves to point out things of interest. Today he pointed out an Indian temple!"

    You freaked me out Joe. I thought the guy drove you all the way to India! How much was on the meter!!??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to India

    Have you figured out your mileage yet Joe?

    Not including the US advenure, you have now been away 6 months

    I think we should get a running tally of the number of continents and countries

    Maybe Quality Assurance can assist. What are you paying that guy with anyway?

    ReplyDelete