Thursday, August 31, 2023

Getting Together and Organized in Edmonton

Sign I held up at the gate.
The welcome to Canada stuff I got from a booth.
The triplets.
Entering the hotel.
 
Sad but true...
The triplets.
John had us pose by the Adventure Canada poster.
Getting our kit.
Quite nice I'd say.
As expected an older, retired, wealthier group.
Dr. James Raffan leading the introduction.

Wednesday, August 30th.

I woke up this morning feeling crappy and worried about my health. I’m pretty sure it’s just a cold but I can’t take the chance. I don’t want to miss my trip, but I certainly don’t want to mess up John and Bruce’s or be responsible for taking COVID to the north. So, I researched and found a walk-in clinic and a Shopper’s in the same area. I took a cab there, which cost $27. I got there before it opened and as soon as the cab pulled away, I saw a sign on the door that said there was no doctor available for the clinic for three days. I had no idea if they were going to open at 9 or not, but without anything better to do I hung around and waited. Thankfully they did. The pharmacist was a lovely Sudanese woman born in Toronto who was transplanted here by family and wished she was still in Toronto. She administered the rapid antigen COVID and thankfully it was negative. I bought some cough drops, a nasal spray, and a decongestant. There was a breakfast restaurant in the same plaza, so I ate there. Then I called a $30 cab to take me back to the hotel. John and Bruce by this time had arrived in Calgary and had a four-hour layover. I texted them and told them I had laryngitis and gave them the option of getting their own room. They were fine with staying in the same room. So, I settled in and awaited their arrival. I bought each one a chocolate bar to put on their bed, made a sign with their names on it to welcome them, and got some Canadiana bits to give them. I went down to the gate and met them there. Really great to see them and be reunited. We went to the room to get organized and of course Bruce asked me to tell him all about my trip… Very frustrating not to be able to talk… Argh. We went to the hotel restaurant for dinner and a beer. Then back to the room where we all crashed. They from jetlag, me from the cold.

Thursday, August 31st.

A very lazy day today as it was raining and there was really nothing to do anyway. We watched a lot of the US Open and just hung out. We went for a few walks around the airport. At 4:00 we went down to the meeting room where we collected name tags, luggage tags and our expedition jackets. We talked to a few people including the historian on the ship and a Dr. James Raffan ,who is one of the lead people. They both seemed really good. Then we had a briefing telling us about the flights to Kugluktuk (formerly Coppermine) in Nunavut (formerly the Northwest Territories), and what to expect. There was a presentation about how to get in the zodiacs and what to do on the landings (don’t touch or collect things, don’t bother wildlife). The three of us then went to the bar for dinner and a beer. They also thanked us for our understanding of the change from Yellowknife to Edmonton. He told us that the hotel we were to stay in in Yellowknife is full of 300 firemen! There are about 200 passengers, going out on two flights, and 37 expedition staff, so we’ll be well attended. The goal of the trip they say is they want us to connect with the place, the people and each other.

So, we’re off tomorrow morning. I have no idea if and when we will have any connectivity, so if I’m off the radar, we will pop up eventually. It should be a grand adventure and we’re really looking forward to it. Take care for now I’ll be in touch when I can.

2 comments: