Sunday, October 8, 2017

Chilling and Meeting the Group

 An African hornbill.
 A blue eared starling.
 My chalet, outside and inside.

An African Hoopoe.
 The pool I spent the afternoon in.
My truck and the type of tent I will be sleeping in.

Sunday, October 8th.
I woke up about seven to the sound of thunder and some rain but not a lot. I had an included breakfast in the hotel and then went to reception to ask about the arrival time of the group. She told me they usually show up in the evening. So I decided that I'd stay another night in the hotel rather than checking out, storing my luggage and wandering around waiting. When the group arrives they will pitch tents here and camp, so another comfy bed appeals to me. The lady on the desk told me I'd have to change rooms to a chalet, at the same cost. So I packed up and she walked me to the new building. I now have a house, not a room. I have a small kitchen, livingroom, a big bed, and an upstairs with two other twin beds, and a TV that works (last night's didn't), however now I don't have internet in the chalet. TIA. But I can use it at the decks of the pool and lobby area.

The bird life here is amazing, lots of interesting birds all near the hotel.

I spent the afternoon cooling off in the pool and talking to a few people who are traveling with different trucks, one from GAdventures and one from Nomad. They were interested that I had been here before and were asking about Devil's Pool, the white water rafting on the Zambesi and the flight over the Okavanga Delta. Then about 3:30 the Intrepid truck showed up and I went and introduced myself to the CEO (Chief Experience Officer) Timon and the cook, Enock who are both South Africans.

I spent some more time in my great chalet before dinner with the group. Everyone wanted to know what happened to me and why I missed the beginning, so at the beginning of dinner I stood up in the middle of the circle of chairs around the campfire and told them a short version of yesterday's blog. Dinner was good, chicken legs, rice and veggies. Then we had a briefing about tomorrow's adventure. We are heading into the Okavanga Delta for two nights. I've been there before and am looking forward to seeing it again. It's one of the Africa areas on the nature shows. It's where the river delta, which usually empty into an ocean, disappears into the Kalhari Desert. We will go for a dugout canoe (makoro) ride and a couple of walking safaris.

After dinner I talked to a couple of nice couples, one from Chicago and the other from Aukland. The group seems nice enough, I'll know more in the next few days. Some of them told me that I didn't miss much by missing the first two days. They were mostly long driving days and missing the Khama Rhinoceros Sanctuary was nothing to worry about. So, I am not too upset. I spent two relaxing days here, recharging my batteries (both mine and the cameras). I spent a little more money on the extra flight and the second night of the hotel, but it has worked out and I am where I am supposed to be.

Every time I get the chance to talk to a GAventure guide I ask if they know GP and of course they do, he's their boss. They are surprised that I was on the first trip he did in Africa, when he was the trainee guide on the big Africa trip where I met John. Then we talk about the YOLO designation and most agree that the balance of age groups is better than a truck full of young people. They like the mature age group because they need less direction and baby sitting. Interesting.

There is absolutely no chance that I will meet another John on this trip, I don't have a tent mate. For the second trip in a row I have my own place.

I will be out of touch for a few days as there are no facilities there, including electricity, wi-fi and showers and toilets. It will be interesting to see how people survive without their phones. Me, I'll have to make notes to type when I get back. Talk to you then. Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends and family.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you Joe Happy to hear the group has caught up with you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Joe.....what an awesome journey with all it's ups and downs lol.....really enjoying following your blog. You must be feeling grateful for this marvellous opportunity. Take care. P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello my dear brother!! Just cking whether I've figured out this blog thing, again. Beautiful shots and love your chalet
    Meg. xo

    ReplyDelete