Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Arrival in Algiers, Algeria via Paris

The view from my balcony in the Lamaraz Hotel. Algiers and the Mediterranean Sea.
And a couple of hours later...
The Djamaa el Djazair or the Great Mosque of Algiers.
 

Finally, after some technical issues, with the help of my guide George, we're live and up and running!

Tuesday, October 6th.

And so the new adventure begins: 

At Pearson Airport the Air France operative was not happy with the visa letter I was sent by Adventures Abroad (because it didn’t specify the length of the visa). I waited anxiously for 20 minutes while they phoned Paris to see if I was to be allowed to board the flight! Finally I got approval and boarded the plane. I sat on the aisle beside an enormous six foot tall woman who while jammed into her spot over flowed into mine. I did not get any sleep during the flight which departed at 6pm, but they didn’t finish dinner until 8:30. They turned off the lights for only three hours before turning them on again for breakfast. I had a three hour wait in Paris before my short flight to Algiers. I sat beside a young Portuguese man who was going to Algeria to get married! Upon arrival I presented my previously mentioned paper visa and was informed by the female customs agent who was busy applying mascara to her eyelashes, that it wasn’t good enough. She took my passport and letter and led me to the ‘bank’. That’s when I realized that the letter was only pre-approval to enter the country where a $151 US fee was to be paid. I knew about that and had brought US currency to cover it. Somehow it still felt a bit threatening, however it only took five minutes to get it paid and sent out to get my luggage. (I learned later that other members of my group had to wait much longer, up to 90 minutes). Finally I emerged from the airport and was met by my driver who took me to the Hotel Lamaraz where I have a lovely room. I immediately had a shower and a two hour nap before the 6pm meeting led by our Adventures Abroad group leader George, who had previously led my Arab States tour in January 2026. We are a group of 16 and there are three members who I travelled with on the Stans and Caucuses tour last year. I learned that this is a cash only country, credit cards are rarely accepted. After the briefing we had dinner at the wonderful buffet in the hotel. I retired shortly after to attempt to catch up on my sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment