Sunday, September 7, 1975

Europe 1975 Mykonos to Florence


 Mykonos.

 Steve and Michelle from Toronto, friends we made on the beach.
 The Roman Colosseum.

 St. Peter's Basilica.
 Packed and ready to move on.
 The Duomo in Florence.

Kathy and I enjoyed Mykonos very much and visited all the main beaches, including the nudist one and the gay one. We made friends with two other Torontonians and relaxed and enjoyed the sun, sand, water and Greek food.

Then it was time to start the return journey. We returned to Athens by ferries, and then on to Brindisi, Italy by train and ferry. 

This time we got off the train at Rome and spent a week there. I remember trying to pitch our tent in a campground when it was really hot and the ground was baked solid. In frustration I reach over my back to pull my t-shirt off and because it was soaked with perspiration, I ripped it off and left the collar! We visited all the famous historical sites including the Colosseum and St. Peter's Basilica. We took the tour through the Vatican to see all the gold and glitter of the Papacy and Michelangelo's masterpiece, the Sistine Chapel. I remember being blown away by that and frustrated at being unable to take photos.

We visited Florence next and fell in love with the huge cathedral there, the Duomo. I remember it being more beautiful from the outside and more stark inside than St. Peter's.

No comments:

Post a Comment